TOP 13 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR YOUR YOGA STUDIO
Green cleaning the
One of the best things about using essential oils is how you can apply them to green cleaning, personal well being and your yoga practice. Having an Eco-friendly studio is important both for your members and the planet. From the lockers, yoga mats, communal showers/toilets and the floors there is a lot of things to consider.
- Melaleuca – known as tea tree this side of the world. An absolute must for green cleaning. It has the highest anti-bacterial content of all the essential oils – a real powerhouse. Melaleuca
- Lemon – another must have for its potency and fresh smell. Not only does it have a fresh, clean scent, but it is also antiseptic, antifungal, and antiviral. Lemon is an air disinfectant and is invigorating and energizing. Lemon
Essential oils are great prior to pranayama – sitting in easy pose and pass around a roller bottle. Never the bottle and always diluted. The oils below open the airways and clears the head.
- Air blend – all the essential oils from leaves. Minty fresh aroma. Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara. Air blend.
- Wild orange – this is a real crowd pleaser and will have everyone smiling. The citrus oils boost serotonin aka the happy hormone. Wild orange.
Using a diffuser in the reception area/studio is great for setting the mood. Winter time – go for the uplifting oils and select the oil dependent on the ambience you want to create.
- Elevation – love this blend for the feel-good factor. it is an invigorating combination of essential oils that blends euphoric scents to elevate your mood, promote feelings of confidence, and increase your energy. Elevation
- Passion – you can’t go wrong with this blend. The cinnamon and jasmine is great when you have lost your mojo. Passion
For the wind down/relaxation time you can enhance the experience using an essential oil. Everyone loves this wonderful treat at the end of class. I caution though once you start using essential oils you students will insist for everyone more!
- Lavender – this oil is known as the “swiss army” of essential oils due to its versatility. I recommend diluting it with a carrier oil and applying a small amount to temples and enjoying deep inhalations as it does its magic. Lavender
- Console blend – this blend has a sweet musky and floral aroma. Great for emotional healing after a loss and releasing emotions. I use it in savasana and it works great. Console
In these classes essential oils that calm and relax work well. These classes with the longer holds and deeper stretches can work very well with essential oils associated with the heart chakra. Also as people take time to position themselves comfortably in the poses you do have an opportunity to use a few appropriate essential oils. My favourites below.
- Geranium – a heart chakra oil with a sweet and floral smell. This wonderful oil is great when a few drops are applied over the heart area (self-application). Blended with cedarwood is makes a great perfume blend. Geranium
- Peace – this blend has a sweet rich minty aroma. It promote feelings of contentment, composure, and reassurance when anxious feelings overwhelm your emotions. Peace
Proper use of essential oils during meditation can enhance the experience by grounding and promoting a sense of calm. You can use a selected essential oil as part of your sadhana (daily spiritual practice) to prepare yourself and to create a sacred space for your meditation practice
- Frankincense – king of oils, amazing essential oil that grounds and calms you fast. A crown chakra oil that comes from a resin. Frankincense
- Sandalwood – the sweet, woody aroma of Indian Sandalwood is a reflection of the soothing benefits of the essential oil. Sandalwood
Yoga teacher does not
go mad blend
I wanted to include this one as I find it a life saver. I start my day with a foot massage with this blend. It is very grounding due to all the wood & resin oils – the blue transy gives it a slight blue tinge. I apply it and reapply it all day long for relaxation, tranquillity and calm crazy emotions! Balance